Wednesday 30 March 2011

Self Defined Brief - Idea and Victor Sloane



For this new, self defined project. We can pretty much do what we want as long as we can meet the criteria. I want to create a narrative for a story currently in the news. It really annoys me how different authorities, whether thats the police, council, the army etc, create rules and laws for us to follow, which they think they are immune to. They abuse their power, but then they're protected by their own people so they get away with it.

I'm still not 100% sure of where to go with this, but there has been articles in the newspapers recently about Majella O'Hare, a 12 year - old girl who was shot dead by British Paras in Northern Ireland, 1976. The soldier who did it seemed to have had no reason for doing this, yet got acquitted at court after being protected by the British army. Only now, 35 years on, has the government apologised for what happened, and admitted to wrong doing. This is just an idea, but the theme of abusing power is something I will pursue.

I need to go around bookshops in London such as Magma, to find new ways of creating books. I want this to be different to a normal book. To create a new way to show this narrative.

I've started looking at artists and photographers, and Victor Sloan is one of the best I've found so far. His style of working would fit this story perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment