Saturday 8 October 2011

'Gerhard Richter: Panorama' at the Tate Modern



This exhibition is definitely one of the best I have been to in a long while. I've not seen too much of Richter's work before, but it is amazing just how diverse it is! This exhibition shows works from throughout his career starting in the 1960's with his Photopainting. This is a style he adopted to show the impact West German life had on those from the East. They are a response to the 'luxury' of the West which he saw through advertisement, and they make a huge impact when you first walk into the exhibition. From a distance they look like distorted photographs and it is unbelievable to think they are oil paintings. This style is perfect for my current project on the protests in Syria. Most photograph I have collected from footage of Syria is distorted due to the use of hidden cameras, but also shows an urgency and a kind of panic, so it would be a shame to lose this in my work.

As Richter begins to explore abstraction, he begins to create some amazing, fascinating surface textures and forms. He's given me lots of ideas for being innovative in this way. He has tackled some pretty big events most have tried to block out such as 9/11 and the Nazi era so I respect him for that. He shows that these sensitive issues need to be tackled head on and acknowledged by everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment