Wednesday 4 May 2011

Self defined Brief - Abu Ghraib First Final Print

This is the first final print of the abuse at Abu Ghraib. I'm pretty pleased with it. It's quite simple, but I think that's what makes it work. It's supposed to look fairly dark, but sort of clinical, like an institution - basically the opposite to what the americans described it as when it first opened. I watched a documentary on this prison, so I've taken my notes from it and tried to transfer what I described into the image. The figure in the foreground is a mixture of drawn and the original image. The photograph (which I took off my computer screen) wasn't too clear, so I drew it as well, and then merged the two together.
Again, to fit in with the other images in this project, I've used mainly collage. I think this works so much better. It's a more powerful method of getting across what happened there. Its like a more realistic form of documentation. Also, this project is self defined so I wanted to do something which allowed me to practice my collage skills. It sounds like a really easy method to use, but its actually quite hard to make it work.
The patterning and typography on the floor of the image is an old bookmark I found in a second-hand book I brought, explaining what to do if you get burnt, electrocuted, poisoned etc, which is really weird but somehow relevant! I've drawn doodles in between all the type which helps adds to its aesthetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment